Head of Drafting
The Head of Drafting role reports directly to the Works Manager. This is a technical role managing our operations to ensure that our drawings are workshop fit. You will have technical drafting expertise. This role ensures the correct approach has been selected and that jobs are carried out to the highest standard and mentors and supports their team. The drafting team are the first stage in the production process and therefore the ability to be able to work to tight deadlines and navigate jobs through the systems is a key deliverable. You will be capable of understanding, translating and creating working drawings.
- Act as the department lead on all aspects/operations of CAD drawing through to completion in order to meet job deadlines
- Mentor team members on best practice for day to day operations and staffing issues
- Ensure that all the team are clear on instructions and deadlines for the scheduling and completion of all drawings
- Sign off and authorise that the technical drawings match the client/project team drawing in order to meet the client’s requirement
- Researching Design and Drafting tools/applications and developing processes to ensure high efficiency in the drafting department
- Input and advice on value engineering
- Plan staff levels which will include holiday, shift pattern arrangements and cover for absence as well as for the workflow of jobs
- Approve, control and authorise all overtime for team members
- Develop team members through sharing best practice and demonstrating quality in jobs.
- Assisting with onboarding new members in line with company process
- Help to manage and mentor any Apprentices
- Report any Health & Safety concerns
- Comply with the company’s Health and Safety practices
- Attend any company meetings or team meetings as required.
- Experience in a fast-paced workshop environment
- Experience in creating technical drawings for joinery, understanding manufacturing methods
- Oversight and some knowledge of technical drawing for other disciplines
- Significant experience in creating and reading construction drawings
- Knowledge of working with CNC Programmers
- Experience of working as a senior manager within operational teams
- Ability to manage deadlines/jobs and adhere to prescribed systems.
- Excellent communication skills
- Quality control
- Able to make business recommendations
- Ability to prioritise
- Calm under pressure
- Flexible and adaptable to changing business needs
- Process driven
- Expert user of AutoCAD
- Strong working knowledge of Solidworks
- Working knowledge of engineering practices is an advantage, although not essential.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE