The Senior Draughtsman role reports directly to the Head of Productions. This role manages our CNC CAD/CAM operation to ensure that our drawings are workshop fit. You will have technical and detailing expertise in the trade of staging, trade shows, retail fit outs, window decoration. Events and venues. This role ensures the correct approach has been selected and that jobs are carried out to the highest standard and mentors and supports their team. The draughting team are the first stage in the production process and therefore the ability to be able to work to tight deadlines and navigate jobs through the systems is a key deliverable. You will be capable of understanding, translating and creating design drawings, and shop drawings, BOM and as well construction drawings.
Essential is the ability to run the CAD/CAM processes and timelines and an intrinsic part of our engineering capability.
- Act as the department lead on all aspects/operations of CAD drawing and CNC through to completion in order to meet job deadlines
- Mentor team members on best practice for day to day operations and staffing issues
- Ensure that all the team are clear on instructions and deadlines from the Head of Build and Senior Workshop Manager
- Researching Design and Drafting tools/applications and developing processes to ensure high efficiency in the drafting department
- Input and advice on value engineering, construction drawings for quality control, build advice to estimating department, as well as supplement the Project Design/CNC capability when needed.
- Plan staff levels which will include holiday, shift pattern arrangements and cover for absence as well as for the workflow of jobs
- Approve, control and authorise all overtime for team members
- Quality control of finished jobs
- Develop team members through sharing best practice and demonstrating quality in jobs.
- Assisting with onboarding new members in line with company process
- Help to manage and mentor any Apprentices
- Report any Health & Safety concerns to the Senior Workshop Manager
- Comply with the company’s Health and Safety practices
- Attend any company meetings or HOD team meetings as required.
- Experience in a fast-paced workshop environment
- Experience in creating technical drawings for joinery, metal shop, electric and electronics, mechanics and modelling, understanding manufacturing methods
- Experience in creating solid models and presentation drawings
- Significant experience in creating and reading construction drawings
- Experience in working with CNC Programmers
- Experience of working as a senior manager within operational teams
- Ability to manage deadlines/jobs
- Experience in an industrial engineering background.
- Excellent communication skills
- Quality control
- Able to make business recommendations
- Ability to prioritise
- Calm under pressure
- Flexible and adaptable to changing business needs.